Open device manager on Windows 7.
1. Click on start button.
2. In the search box type "device manager" without quotes. (see screen shot below)
3. Wait for the results to populate and click on device manager.
4. Device manager window will open.
5. On device manager there are indicators to easily spot if there are issues on the system
A question mark would indicate that the driver is not installed properly or the system is not able to find the driver or some other issues.
6. To check whether the device is disabled, a small black arrow within a small circle would indicate that the device has been disabled. (see screen shot below)
7. How to see sub items or the specific properties within a particular device, click the right arrow. (see screen shot below)
8. To disable or enable a particular item, right click the item and options will open. If the device is enabled, you will have an option to disabled. And of course if device is disabled the option will be enabled. (see screen shot below)
Device manager is a window to check if there are issues that you notice in your computer, like sound is disabled, microphone is not working, USB is not functioning and some other issues.
If the device driver is a culprit, device manager will be able to capture the error.
Or if there are items that is accidentally disabled, device manager would also indicate that specific device is disabled on the system.
Hope it helps!!! Cheers!!!